forwarding rfc1918 queries, stub zones

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Feb 2 23:01:24 UTC 2004

Will Yardley wrote:

>Maybe a FAQ, but what's the simplest way (if you have a split
>caching-only / authoritative setup) to forward queries for rfc1918
>reverse lookups to the authoritative machine? Can I just setup a stub
>zone for 10.in-addr.arpa. and forward all those queries to the
>authoritative nameservers (even if the zones we're running are actually
>more specific)?
>
>Also, what should the "master" of a stub zone be set to - the server
>it's forwarding queries to?

Set up a 10.in-addr.arpa on a master. For redundancy, have one or more
other nameservers be published slaves for the zone. Delegate any
subzones that are necessary. If you have an internal root architecture,
you're done at this point. Otherwise, if you're forwarding towards the
Internet, you'll need to make sure that 10.in-addr.arpa and everything
underneath it is "redirected" from the regular forwarding path, somehow.
How to accomplish this "redirection" basically breaks down into two
general tasks: 1) how does one deal with 10.in-addr.arpa itself, and 2)
how does one deal with descendant (i.e. child and/or grandchild) zones
of 10.in-addr.arpa? For #1, you can define 10.in-addr.arpa as a slave,
stub or "type forward" zone. For #2, you could a) cancel forwarding for
that whole part of the hierarchy by defining 10.in-addr.arpa as a stub
or slave with "forwarders { };" (this will force the forwarders to use
iterative resolution for everything under 10.in-addr.arpa), or b) define
all of the descendant zones as slave zones (which can be a maintenance
nightmare, you might not be able to do zone transfers of all of those
zones, or it would use up too much bandwidth), or c) define
10.in-addr.arpa itself as a "type forward" zone, pointing to alternate
forwarders which can resolve all names in that part of the namespace
(just be sure these alternate forwarders either honor recursion or are
authoritative for all of the descendant zones as in (b) above).

Hybrid approaches, i.e. some combination of forwarding/stubbing/slaving,
are also possible....

                                                - Kevin