query cache denied

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Feb 1 23:19:03 UTC 2004

In article <bvgl8p$24g6$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Genco YILMAZ <gyilmaz at mw.net.tr> wrote:

> hi,
> I have directed "cache query denied" messages to  file but log file is
> growing in size so rapily.
> now it is 35mb
> I have seen that many hosts try to query cache repeatedly (e.g  the same
> host sends lots of queries)
> even if request denied. Is this normal ? or Could it be a kind of attack  ?

It could be.  Or maybe it's just a misconfigured system.  Can you
contact the owner of the system that's sending the queries?

> Sometimes in addition to client requests, DNS servers make query cache .
> Why do dns servers make cache queries from my name server ?

If a server has your address in its "forwarders" configuration, that
would cause it.

Maybe some ISP has mistakenly documented your address as their DNS
server.  Or perhaps your address used to belong to an ISP's DNS server,
and there are machines with obsolete configurations still pointing to it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA