turning off EDNS0

Joseph Harvell jharvell at dogpad.net
Wed Dec 29 23:06:52 UTC 2004

I am running bind version "BIND 9.2.2-P1" and I notice that my query
times are very long.  When I run Ethereal to see why, I see that initial
queries are sending the OPT pseudo RR.  Almost every nameserver out
there responds to this with RCODE "format error" and then bind issues
another query without this extension.

This is really increasing my relsoving time.  I would really like to
disable this, but apparently I can only do this on a per server basis.

First, I would like to know how to disable this globally (hopefully
without recompililng).  But something makes me think this is not what I
want to do.  I just can't believe that ISC would release BIND9
configured by default to double resolving times.  Am I doing something
wrong?

---
Joe Harvell