cache only setup info

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 22 05:51:58 UTC 2004

In article <cq9kf4$4aq$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 jeff donovan <jdonovan at beth.k12.pa.us> wrote:

> greetings
> I have a mail system i would like to setup a cache only name server on.
> Basically i want to speed up my lookups.
>
> here is my named.conf
> //
> // a caching only nameserver config

If your server is accessible from the Internet, you might want an
"options" section containing 'allow-query { localhost; }'.  Otherwise,
your configuration looks fine.

> then on the mail system i want the /etc/resolv.conf to look at the
> local cache before it does a lookup. does this sound right?
> what else do i need to configure?

What do you mean by "before it does a lookup"?  You want to list the
local host as the nameserver to do the lookups on.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA