Solved? Bug? Re: 9.3.0 high CPU usage at idle on W2k3?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Dec 22 01:52:11 UTC 2004

At 10:34 PM 12/20/2004, Peter E. Fry wrote:
>   Bah!  What am I, helpless?  While I was waiting, I read the manual,
>and adjusted the intervals in a short stagger.  The "interface-
>interval" (which logged nothing, even at debug 3) was the culprit,
>which is good -- I can kill it.  I did, and I'll post again in a few
>minutes if that's really it.  Hmmm...  Come to think of it, I'll let
>it go for a few hours.

The rescan won't log anything unless an address has been added
or removed since it's unnecessary data in the syslog. If you have
only static addresses then you don't need to rescan at all, so setting
it the way you did is the right thing to do. The interfaceiter code doesn't
do much except open a socket and make an WSAIoctl call to get the
list. It may have to do this several times if it doesn't have a large enough
buffer. A few things could be done like remembering the largest buffer
size needed and using that for when rescans for the interfaces.

Danny