BIND 9 very slow to resolve after upgrading from earlier version

James Herbert lists at artyzan.net
Mon Dec 20 20:51:42 UTC 2004

Mxsmanic wrote:
> I just upgraded to FreeBSD 5.3 and BIND 9, and I'm using the same BIND
> config files I used previously, but now named is taking forever to
> resolve addresses (like ten seconds).  What sorts of problems with the
> config could account for this?

Well,

I had these symptoms on OpenBSD. The fix for my problem is described here:

http://www.openbsd.org/errata.html

(RELIABILITY FIX 002)

It's due to BIND trying to use IPv6 even when there is no IPv6
connectivity. This may be your issue, but then again it may not. Try
asking the FreeBSD people?

ymmv, hth etc.

-j