BIND configuration - superior wisdom required.

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Mon Dec 20 16:22:37 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 12/19/2004 03:39:48 PM:
> Barry Margolin wrote:
>
> > You don't need views for this, because you shouldn't be getting any
> > queries from anywhere other than your local network.  Simply configure

> > your server as a master for your forward zone and the reverse zone for

> > 10.in-addr.arpa.  Your server will answer with this information for
your
> > servers, and recurse out to the Internet for everything else (there's
no
> > need to forward to your ISP's DNS, that just adds an extra hop and
point
> > of failure).
>
> Hi Barry,
>
> Thanks for the pointers. I've got things working for the local network,
> but for some reason the server won't recurse out. I wonder if you could
> have a quick glance through my named.conf to see if you can spot any
> glaring errors?

Are there any errors in your log?

> acl clients {
>          10.0.0.0/24;
>          "localhost";
> };
> options {
>          version "";
>          allow-transfer { none; };
>          listen-on    { clients; };

The listen-on option does not do what you think it does:

The interfaces and ports that the server will answer queries from may be
specified using the listen-on option. listen-on takes an optional port,
and an address_match_list. The server will listen on all interfaces
allowed by the address match list. If a port is not specified, port 53
will be used.
Multiple listen-on statements are allowed. For example,
listen-on { 5.6.7.8; };
listen-on port 1234 { !1.2.3.4; 1.2/16; };

will enable the name server on port 53 for the IP address 5.6.7.8, and on
port 1234 of an address on the machine in net 1.2 that is not 1.2.3.4.
If no listen-on is specified, the server will listen on port 53 on all
interfaces.

If you system does not have multiple interfaces you can safely drop this
option.  If it does, use this option to specify which interfaces the name
daemon will listen on... An entire class C subnet is not a valid interface
address.

hth,

Dave...