Named stops resolving

Crucificator crucificator at home.ro
Thu Dec 16 12:59:11 UTC 2004

Hy, my first post here, so hello to all of you.

I have a problem with one of my dns servers consisting of:

I start the dns server, it resolves just fine and after a short period
of time it just stops resolving.
I must mention that I have a pretty curious configuration:

I wanted to move at a location the gateway's os from winblows to linux.
To do this I have put the linux gateway (on wich the resolver is) behind
the winblows and I am reconfiguring the clients so that they use the
squid proxy instead of winproxy. They needed an php aplication so I made
a xxxlocal.ro domain that will handle the naming problem for
www.xxxlocal.ro. In order for the workstations that weren't configure to
use the other gatway to see the local domain i changed the forwarding
strategy:) :

the linux server (that doesn't have internet connection) gets through
the winblows gateway the dns updates; every query from inside the lan
goes to the winproxy (that has direct connection to the internet) that
is configured to query *only* the linux dns server.
Strange thing after the dns stops resolving directly the clients can
still resolve through the winblows gateway.

I am kind of stuck and don't know what to do because I don't know what
the problem really is. Probably the biggest problem lies between the
chair and the keyboard but if you have any solutions or ideeas please
let me know.
I read somewhere that recursion is allowed for queries only for depths
of 2 but I read somewhere else something that contradicted the previous
statement. (Note to myself: read rfc concerning dns)
My distro is Mandrake 9.2, bind version is BIND 9.2.3rc2, if any other
questions please let me know.

10ks in advance