AW: "Catch-all" forwarding

Walkenhorst, Benjamin Benjamin.Walkenhorst at telekom.de
Thu Dec 16 11:35:13 UTC 2004

Hello,

> However, I think with the forwarders statement, you can only either:
>
> # forward all requests ("forward only"), or
> # forward requests first ("forward first", which is the default)
>
> At the moment, I'm looking for some sort of "forward if not found in
> this server", but it seems that such thing doesn't exist
> based from my
> research so far.

As far as I know, BIND will only forward a request if
a) it isn't authoritative for the RR requested and
b) doesn't have the answer in its cache.

The BIND9 ARM says at http://www.bind9.net/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#options
under section 6.2.14.2:
Forwarding occurs only on those queries for which the server is not
authoritative and does not have the answer in its cache.

Kind regards,
Benjamin