Wildcard DNS (pros and cons)

Chris De Young chd at arizona.edu
Fri Dec 10 19:51:00 UTC 2004

So, let me make sure that I understand how this works...
> We use wildcard MX records in our internal root zone to route outbound
> Internet mail, for instance, which allows us to run "dumb" mail
> configurations on our servers and control the mail routing centrally.
> But if some day, for example, I were to define a foobar.microsoft.com
> name in our internal DNS (e.g. to redirect a worm-generated DoS to the
> bit bucket), then if I didn't remember to also define an explicit
> *.microsoft.com MX record, then the "empty non-terminal" would put the
> kibosh on all mail to @microsoft.com addresses

So you have something like:

*.com.            	MX 10   local.mail.server.   ; or whatever
foobar.microsoft.com.   A    	1.2.3.4

So now in this case, the wildcard record does not apply to microsoft.com or
any subdomain of microsoft.com?  But it would still match, say,
"foo.soft.com"?  I guess I don't actually know what an "empty non-terminal" is.

Thanks,
-Chris

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature