named udp random port - not mentioned in the configuration file.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Dec 10 18:21:21 UTC 2004

As per the BIND 9 ARM:

      6.2.16.6. Query Address

If the server doesn't know the answer to a question, it will query other
name servers. *query-source* specifies the address and port used for
such queries. For queries sent over IPv6, there is a separate
*query-source-v6* option. If *address* is *** or is omitted, a wildcard
IP address (*INADDR_ANY*) will be used. If *port* is *** or is omitted,
a random unprivileged port will be used, *avoid-v4-udp-ports* and
*avoid-v6-udp-ports* can be used to prevent named from selecting certain
ports. The defaults are

query-source address * port *;
query-source-v6 address * port *;

    *Note: *The address specified in the *query-source* option is used
    for both UDP and TCP queries, but the port applies only to UDP
    queries. TCP queries always use a random unprivileged port.

    *Note: *See also *transfer-source* and *notify-source*.

                                     - Kevin