Acting as stealth slave for root zone

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Dec 8 22:16:48 UTC 2004

> Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> writes:
>
> > > Eventually, I tried something that I fully expected not to work: I
> > > tried to pull a copy of the root zone by zone transfer from the root
> > > servers themselves.  It worked!  I'd expected the query to be
> > > refused.
> > > Is this new/temporary behavior?  The spirited discussion a few weeks
> > > ago engendered by the idea of grabbing the root zone by ftp would
> > > seem to indicate that zone transfers have not always been permitted.
> >
> > I believe that F and K always authorized it.
>
> Certainly F has always allowed zone transfers of the root zone, even when
> it was called NS.ISC.ORG back before the letter-names came into being.  It
> is ISC's intention to permit AXFR of the root zone from f-root, always.
> --
> Paul Vixie

	As general advice to anyone doing this.  Turn off NOTIFY
	if you are slaving ".".  The real roots don't need to know
	everytime you have transfered / loaded the root zone.
	This applies equally to FTP transfers as it applies to AXFR.

	By default named will send the NOTIFY messages.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org