Need clue: Underscore zones and hostnames

SilentRage bind-users at dollardns.net
Mon Dec 6 18:07:18 UTC 2004

It seems you're already informed on the issue.  Supposedly yeah, there are
some resolvers that might choke on hostnames with characters that don't
follow the standards for internet host names.  Most especially you shouldn't
create mail domains or mail server domains with invalid characters, cause
that's a whole new suite of applications that might choke.

The dns protocol places no restriction on 'name' content, which is why BIND
supports it, and why it works just fine in practice.  For my service I allow
clients to create hostnames with whatever characters they want.  If they
want binary characters, go for it.  Limiting what they create limits
creativity and proprietary usage.  If they manage to shoot themself in the
foot, I'll hand them the gun, bullets, and all.  If they come to me asking
why some of their clients can't visit their underscore site, I'll educate
them.  :)

Dave