ping problems with BIND9

Mike Branda mike at wackyworld.tv
Wed Dec 1 20:14:07 UTC 2004

I did both before joining the list.  Ping doesn't work for short or
fully qualified and the domain and search entries are both in
resolv.conf.  The server is set to listen on all interfaces right now
for testing. Other than the related bind files, /etc/hosts and resolv
are the same (with the exception of the hostname in hosts) on both
client and server.  www/external stuff works fine from the client with
no problem.  I'm assuming that's due to the root.hint servers.  External
caching seems to be o.k. too from dig response times.  Dig on the client
returns the properly associated IP in the answer section and the reverse
lookup (-x) returns the fully qual. domain name.  No other internal
services work....eg ssh,ping,http.

Mike