ping problems with BIND9

Mike Branda mike at wackyworld.tv
Wed Dec 1 19:38:58 UTC 2004

Kerry,

here's what's in nsswitch.conf.  it already had dns in the hosts and
networks lines.  What's strange is that if I remove the nameserver from
resolv.conf, when I do "ping machinename" it immediately returns "ping:
unknown host machinename". But when the nameserver is there, it takes
about 15 seconds to return the same message.

Mike