Are there any limits to the character length of a service nam e in an SRV record?

Corsa, Todd tcorsa at bnl.gov
Tue Aug 31 20:43:55 UTC 2004

I was looking for help on a question from someone more knowledgeable on the
subject of DNS because, admittedly, I'm not an expert. You're exactly the
type of pompous know-it-all that generally deters people from asking
questions in the first place. Did you reply to my request because you wanted
to help, or because you wanted to show the rest of the world how superior
you are?

The phrase "domain name" is not specific to DNS, and the fact that this is a
forum regarding DNS doesn't mean that people can't use terms in ways that
aren't explicitly defined in an RFC. If you're incapable of determining what
I meant, then I hardly take that as a sign of intelligence. Rather, you're
just incapable of conversing on a normal level. Perhaps your social skills
need work.

Furthermore, what makes you think that this phrase 'the name of the service
("_ldap._tcp.example.com" for instance)' as taken directly from 2782 is
okay, but saying 'the service name ("_ldap._tcp.example.com"' isn't? The
difference is so miniscule that only someone that was trying really hard to
correct me would nit-pick it.

Apparently you were so hurt by your beloved RFC's clarity being questioned
(Mr. "jim at rfc1035.com") that you were going to pick apart everything I said.
Quite frankly, I'd rather not have an answer than have to abide your
condescension, so though I'm sure sure you'll be tempted to boost your
self-esteem by correcting any of my future infelicities, please refrain from
responding at all. Instead, save your game of "Everquest", or whatever it is
you do to protect yourself from the pain of face to face interaction with
other human beings, and use the time you would have spent enlightening me
about life in your little box to instead learn about all of the wonderful
words and phrases that exist outside of your well practiced vocabulary of
techno-babble. It may hurt at first to find out that you don't really know
everything, but eventually, you'll become a better-rounded person. When
you're ready, the rest of us will be here for you to give you a big hug and
welcome you to the world of friendliness and likeability.

Sincerely,
Someone who cares