BIND doesn't recognise A(host) record types in zone file

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Mon Aug 30 13:12:23 UTC 2004

It's hard for me to tell from your post, but are you beginning the lines
for the A records with spaces? That's likely your problem. BIND is carrying
down the name from the previous record (the actual domain name) and then
the next thing listed would be the RR type which now appears as Katja.
Remove the leading spaces and I think you'll be all set.

At 09:03 AM 8/30/2004, you wrote:
>hi
>I'm running Red Hat 9.0
>I tried to create simple master server for FTW.com zone.But when I started
>the server,Named couldn't locate hosts in that zone.So I opened
>/var/log/messages and found there was an error reported at startup
>Aug 29 04:17:05 root named[9715]: dns_master_load: FTW.com.zone:13:
>unknown RR type 'Katja'
>Aug 29 04:17:05 root named[9715]: zone FTW.com/IN: loading master file
>FTW.com.zone: unknown class/type
>Aug 29 04:17:05 root named[9715]: running
>
>Seems like my Bind server doesn't recognise A record type.I will post my
>config files even though I don't think it's anything wrong with those
>
>NAMED.CONF FILE:
>
>    options { directory "/var/named" ; };
>
>    zone "." in {type hint; file "named.ca" ; };
>
>    zone "FTW.com" in {
>           type master;
>           file "FTW.com.zone";
>    };
>
>FTW.COM.ZONE FILE:
>
>     $TTL 3d
>
>     @ IN SOA L.FTW.com. U.L.FTW.com. (
>           20000160 ; Serial
>           21600 ; Refresh
>           1600 ; Retry
>           9w ; Expire
>           3h ) ; Negative cache TTL
>
>     ;define the nameservers
>
>            IN  NS  L.FTW.com.
>
>     ;Define hosts here it all goes wrong
>
>        Katja  IN     A     192.168.0.3
>        L        IN     A     192.168.0.7
>
>thank you

>Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter now.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.