Zone Handling with Dynamic/Static RRs

James Bourne jamesb at al.com.au
Mon Aug 30 07:14:15 UTC 2004

Hi List,

I've setup dhcpd and bind to perform dynamic updates. Problem is that once a
zone becomes dynamic it's no longer possible to edit the zone file itself.
My zones contain a variety of RRs including MXs, CNAMEs along with static
and dynamic IN A and PTR etc.

Please can someone advise the "correct" method for handling dynamic and
static RRs in a single zone?

Via the dhcp list, I've been advised to use nsupdate . so could one proposed
method be to automate the injection of static records via nsupdate into the
nominated zones or should I have two completely separated zones - one for
dynamic updates, the other for static RRs in order to prevent the
overwriting of static RRs?

Any tips or pointers gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,

James Bourne

Networks

Animal Logic