BIND 9.2.3 and zone transfers larger than 64MB

Dean Brooks dean at iglou.com
Fri Aug 27 23:21:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 07:05:07PM -0400, Two Dog wrote:

> > We too pull rbl-plus.mail-abuse.org, to BIND8 servers; the transfer
> > is out-of-band, but reloading the zone takes significant time and
> > queries are not served until it has finished.
>
> I wonder is there an option to perhaps do the zone transfer once a day
> at say 3am when it would have the least impact?

Not sure about the beta or RC versions, but 9.2.3 still will not
resolve queries when reloading the massive RBL zone file, which can
take 10 to 15 minutes to process on a slower server.

To work around the issue, we eventually had to set up a separate
instance of BIND that was authoritative for the rbl zone, and then
set up our main DNS servers to forward queries for the rbl-plus
zone over to the separate server.

--
Dean Brooks
dean at iglou.com