Messages On Startup

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 27 22:54:34 UTC 2004

In article <cge2go$1ub7$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
>
> >In article <cg6c75$nm3$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> > Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Hmmm, okay, I'll go tell our plant-floor folks that they can't use their
> >>paint-control/milling/stamping/machining/welding/electronics-testing
> >>devices any more and they'll just have to improvise somehow...
> >>

> >What's your problem?  Just put "check-names master ignore" in the
> >options section and you'll be all set.
> >
> My only point is that a default setting of "fail" would be rather
> Internet-biased and misguided.

Another point in favor of that default is that it's a safer setting.  If
you're connecting to the Internet and don't have things configured in
the standard way, you can cause problems for others.  So it's best to
have the defaults correct for the interoperation cases.

If the default doesn't match your needs for private use, they only
inconvenience you, not anyone else.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA