BIND 9.2.3 and zone transfers larger than 64MB

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Fri Aug 27 21:41:35 UTC 2004

Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

> BTW, BIND9 can use twice as much RAM/VM as BIND8 when it loads a zone.
> This may be significant when the zone that's loaded is large. The
> reason for this is BIND9 creates a new data structure when it reloads
> a zone. Once the zone load completes, the red-black tree for the old
> copy of the zone is discarded. So there's a transient interval when
> BIND9 has two copies of the zone in memory at once. BIND8 uses a
> different technique for reloading zones. It loads the new copy over
> the top of the existing zone which is evil, though it saves RAM/VM.

Does this enable BIND9 to (transfer and) reload the zone without
suspending query service?  If not now, is that intended in the future?

We too pull rbl-plus.mail-abuse.org, to BIND8 servers; the transfer
is out-of-band, but reloading the zone takes significant time and
queries are not served until it has finished.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for