incorrect pointer and non-authoritative issue ?

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Tue Aug 24 03:59:26 UTC 2004

> I have a zone on the server of 127.0.0.1 with the following content:
>
> $TTL 3h
> @       IN SOA prcdigital.com sreese.prcdigital.com. (
>                           1        ; Serial
>                           3h       ; Refresh after 3 hours
>                           1h       ; Retry after 1 hour
>                           1w       ; Expire after 1 week
>                           1h )     ; Negative caching TTL of 1 hour
>
>                 NS  ns1.prcdigital.com.
>                 NS  ns2.prcdigital.com.
>
> 1               PTR localhost.
>
> I though this was required in order for bind to run correctly. I would
> like to server to be the authoritive server for this domain so I will
> contact our ISP and make sure they do not have any stale entries (if
> there's such a thing). From the zone files that I have posted do they
> look correct in the order that they could run an authoritive server?
> Finally I don't understand why the www.neocipher.net is coming up as the
> name.

Stephen, try to use dig, when troubleshooting, nslookup gives very wierd
results sometime. It looks to me that for some reasons the reverse zone
is not loaded in your local server, perhaps typo. Can you check you log
files for the errors (possibly /var/adm/messages or /var/log/messages or
  /var/log/syslog or you might have your own channel...)

There reverse zone is delegated from arin.net to deltacom.net, they are
authoritative for it and most porbably master, so if you want to alter
the reverse for 90.133.35.66.in-addr.arpa why don't you talk to them to
do it for you. Or you can set up your own 133.35.66.in-addr.arpa master
zone and let them know that you will be master and they will just setup
133.35.66.in-addr.arpa as a slave zone and replicate from you. In any
case you have to talk to deltacom.net people.

The result you see now (reverse for www.neocipher.net) is because
deltacom.net servers have such a PTR record.

you can try

dig axfr 133.35.66.in-addr.arpa @127.0.0.1

to see whether the zone is loaded properly or no.

p.s. if you don't own whole class C block you will have to follow RFC2317

Ladislav