no IPv6 interfaces found

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Mon Aug 23 16:25:00 UTC 2004

 > But even at
> start-time the name server will still issue a SIOCIFCONF ioctl() and
> get info about all the network interfaces on the host.

What's the use for that? Apache just yell's "can't bind to address
x.x.x.x" and quits if I'm entering a nont available interface in the
config file. Virtually any other server behaives the same. That's what I
expect BIND to do.

> Because a host's network interfaces are not necessarily static. They
> sometimes get enabled or disabled.

In that case, you can restart BIND or give him a kill -HUP. Why has BIND
to check on it's own?

> Sometimes they go away or get
> created: for instance when a dial-up or Wi-Fi link comes on-line.
> Mobile hosts often change their IP address.

We're talking about nameservers, not resolvers! Which mobile device is
using it's own nameserver? For dial-up connections, it might be useful
to run BIND so it's available from the intranet. But why should it bind
to an interface that's only available at dial-up time? This doesn't make
sense.

> So file a bug report.

If there's a serious reason for all this, it might be useful for
something. But so far, noone could explain this reason to me. I still
hope to get an explanatory answer.

Regards
Marten