disabling caching on selected zones

Ollie Wild aaw at rincewind.tv
Sun Aug 22 01:00:47 UTC 2004

Hi.  I'm running a simple bind configuration on my home network.  The
bind daemon is authoritative for my local network.  Any requests outside
my local network are forwarded to my ISP:

    zone  "." {
            type forward;
            forward only;
            forwarders {
                    xx.xx.xx.xx;
            };
    };

I also have a vpn to my office network, which I only enable
occasionally.  The name of our office mail server resolves externally,
but access is disabled.  Once the vpn is active, the same hostname
resolves to an internal IP from which I can access mail.

The problem is that named caches the external IP, so everytime I enable
the vpn, I have to restart named to access my mail.  Is there a way to
explicitly configure bind to disable caching of results from a specific
zone?

Thanks,
Ollie Wild