DNS and machine names.

Wagner Garcia Campagner wcampagner at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 19 21:20:42 UTC 2004

Hello,

I have a dought about DNS and machine names and if someone could help me
i'll be glad.

I have a static IP (200.161.16.93). When i do a ping -a from a machine in
the internet i get the name 200-161-16-93.dsl.telesp.net.br.

What i want to know is if there is a way to change this name...  maybe my
ISP provider gave it.... i have already a DNS server in this machine
answering requests for a domain patchwork.com.br that is mine.

I want to make this machine answer for my domain too... (mycompany.com.br).
Is it possible to use this machine as a DNS server to answer request for
itself?

Another question: i have two NIC cards in this machine... one is for
internet and the other is for my LAN (192.168.0.1).... How can i set up this
DNS to answer both requests from internet and intranet??? Because  when i do
nslookup from the intranet and then set server 192.168.0.1. I get an error
message saiyng that the name of the server could not be found....

The last question: sorry... but i didn't find the answer yet....
Later i'll make an e-mail server too.... some friends fo my told about
reverse zones.... and that i'll have to contact my ISP to make some reverse
zone for me.... can i have this reverse zone here in my machine???? I don't
want to depend on the ISP...

Thanks a lot in advance,
Wagner.