resolve fails when no forwarders but roots configured

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Aug 17 23:00:49 UTC 2004

> I have a customer complaining he cannot resolve MX for domains like:
> ceanet.com.au
>
> I tried it using my own DNS with no forwarders but roots configured, and I
> get no results for the domain unless I request type ANY.  Then, I tried
> doing the query using ns1.asiaonline.net.au as the server, and I get no A
> record for ceanet.com.au but I do get a result if I request MX records.
>
> What is needed in the BIND configuration to make this resolve properly?

	You get on the phone/email and get the delegation fixed.
	The DNS is not designed to work with misconfigurations
	like this.

	Mark

Parent:
ceanet.com.au.          86400   IN      NS      ns2.asiaonline.net.au.
ceanet.com.au.          86400   IN      NS      ns1.asiaonline.net.au.

Child:
ceanet.com.au.          10M IN NS       ns2.nexon.com.au.
ceanet.com.au.          10M IN NS       ns1.nexon.com.au.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org