problem transferring zones to win2k slave

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Aug 17 15:12:01 UTC 2004

Dustin Hoff <dustin+bind-users at dustinhoff.com> wrote:

>Barry,
>Thanks for your reply.  On win2k I have dns.exe version 5.00.2195.5390,
>and I have tried full logging but I'm not sure what to look for in
>the dns.log file.  the zone transfer starts with:
>
>---------------
>Snd T 146.142.40.229  4000    Q [0000        NOERROR] (3)bls(3)gov(0)
>TCP question info at 00D6482C
>  Socket = 624
>  Remote addr 146.142.40.229, port 53
>  Time Query=0, Queued=0, Expire=0
>  Buf length = 0x10000 (65536)
>  Msg length = 0x005a (90)
>  Message:
>    XID       0x4000
>    Flags     0x0000
>        QR        0 (question)
>        OPCODE    0 (QUERY)
>        AA        0
>        TC        0
>        RD        0
>        RA        0
>        Z         0
>        RCODE     0 (NOERROR)
>    QCOUNT    0x1
>    ACOUNT    0x0
>    NSCOUNT   0x1
>    ARCOUNT   0x0
>    Offset = 0x000c, RR count = 0
>    Name      "(3)bls(3)gov(0)"
>      QTYPE   IXFR (251)
>      QCLASS  1
>    ANSWER SECTION:
>    AUTHORITY SECTION:
>    Offset = 0x0019, RR count = 0
>    Name      "[C00C](3)bls(3)gov(0)"
>      TYPE   SOA  (6)
>      CLASS  1
>      TTL    86400
>      DLEN   51
>      DATA
>		PrimaryServer: (9)localhost(0)
>		Administrator: (10)blahusch_p(3)bls(3)gov(0)
>		SerialNo     = 2004071900
>		Refresh      = 14400
>		Retry        = 300
>		Expire       = 604800
>		MinimumTTL   = 86400
>    ADDITIONAL SECTION:
>    TAG: MS
>
>Rcv T 146.142.40.229  4000  R Q [8084 A  R  NOERROR] (3)bls(3)gov(0)
>TCP response info at 00D6482C
>  Socket = 624
>  Remote addr 146.142.40.229, port 53
>  Time Query=1194793, Queued=0, Expire=0
>  Buf length = 0x10000 (65536)
>  Msg length = 0x3b57 (15191)
>  Message:
>    XID       0x4000
>    Flags     0x8480
>        QR        1 (response)
>        OPCODE    0 (QUERY)
>        AA        1
>        TC        0
>        RD        0
>        RA        1
>        Z         0
>        RCODE     0 (NOERROR)
>    QCOUNT    0x1
>    ACOUNT    0x294
>    NSCOUNT   0x0
>    ARCOUNT   0x0
>    Offset = 0x000c, RR count = 0
>    Name      "(3)bls(3)gov(0)"
>      QTYPE   IXFR (251)
>      QCLASS  1
> [...]

First, that dns.exe is old (2002), and I do not have any information as
to the problem that was fixed by that build.  My records as to the
exact date for that build do not agree.  You should install a higher
build of dns.exe.  My records show a newer build:

     6715 06/03/2003 822302

I have not done research as to more recent builds.  Nothing in my
records shows a fix that describes your problem, but installing a
newer build can not hurt.  And if you call MS, they will want a newer
build.

As for the trace, it does not show much.  Your W2k server received the
IXFR packet, and it responded with the zone contents.  Then your W2k
server discarded a packet.  You will probably have to use Netmon
to get a trace of that packet, as MS has decided that the bad discarded
packet was not worth logging.  I do not understand the MS logic of not
logging information useful for debugging, such as your problem and
an ongoing problem I have with respect to rejected zone transfers.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov