Views configuration question.

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Aug 14 03:14:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Tom Diehl wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I have a couple of zones that I host. The master is on a local machine and the
> >slave is hosted remotely. In addition I have zones that are locally hosted
> >slaves and the masters are hosted remotely. Both nameservers have both internal
> >and external views. The question is, what is the correct way to handle the
> >internal view of the zones for which I am a slave?
> >
> >For example if I have a config file that looks something like the following:
> >
> >view "rogueind" {
> >    match-clients { "internal";};
> >    recursion yes;
> >
> >zone "rogueind.com" in {
> >        type master;
> >        notify yes;
> >        file "rogueind.com.internal.db";
> >        allow-transfer {
> >                "internal";
> >                };
> >    };
> >
> >}
> >

> >view "external" {
> >    match-clients { "any"; };
> >    recursion no;
> >
> >    zone "rogueind.com" in {
> >        type master;
> >        notify yes;
> >        file "rogueind.com.db";
> >        allow-transfer {
> >                "external";
> >                };
> >    };
> >
> >	zone "stnhbr.com" in {
> >        type slave; masters { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; };
> >        notify no;
> >        file "cache/stnhbr.com.db";
> >        allow-transfer { "external"; };
> >    };
> >
> >};
> >
> >What is the correct way to handle the internal view of the stnhbr.com domain?
> >Do I do it the way I have it above? I think this would just query the remote
> >nameserver but what happens if the remote is unavailable?
> >
> As a recursive resolver, it will try to query any or all of the
> nameservers which are published in the zone's NS records, including your
> nameserver if it is published there.
>
> >If I add a stanza
> >to the internal view for the stnhbr zone I do not think the zone transfers,
> >notifies, etc will work properly given that the internal addresses will never
> >match the external addresses.
> >

> A question: do you have multiple addresses on this box, or just one? If

At this point in time 1 machine has multiple external addresses available
but the other only has 1 external available. They both have multiple internal
addresses available.

> you have just one address, then perhaps the simplest thing to do is make
> both views slaves of the stnhbr.com zone. This will incur some extra
> zone-transfer overhead, unfortunately. If you want to avoid that

I tried the above and it seems to work OK except that the internal zones
never get the notifies so it waits for the refresh time to reload the zone.
Since I am not doing dyndns updates I suppose that is not that much of a
problem.

> overhead, you could try adding an exception to the match-clients so that
> when the nameserver instance queries *itself*, it gets the external
> view. If you do that, though, you might want to change /etc/resolv.conf
> on the box to point to 127.0.0.1, otherwise local processes will lose
> the ability to resolve internal names.

If I figure this out will notifies work? I will have to do some reading on
this.

> If you have multiple addresses on the box to play with, you could tinker
> with query-source, transfer-source etc. to have the internal view be a
> stealth slave from the external view for stnhbr.com. Be aware, however,
> that whenever you make a slave to another slave, changes to the zone
> could take up to twice the refresh time to propagate.

Hummm, so are you saying that if I have a box with 2 ip addresses I could
have the internal view updated by the external view of the same nameserver??
If so would notifies work? If notifies work, doesn't that solve the problem
of the delay in zone propagation?? If my assumptions are correct then that
might solve my problem, since I could use multiple internal addresses.

Another thought, what would happen if I made the internal view for stnhbr.com
a master with the zonefile pointed at the same file that gets transferred
by the external view. IOW the external and internal views would be pointed
at cache/stnhbr.com.db. I think that updates to the zone might be slow but
I am not sure if there are any other side effects.

Regards,

Tom