DNS hidding

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Mon Aug 9 22:47:48 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin wrote:

>In article <cf8h24$mf0$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> before.the.gods at gmail.com (Before The Gods) wrote:
>

>>So is it possible to configure my DNS so that when a user ask for
>>"www.prod.xyz.com", it will redirect to "www.xyz.com" ?
>>

>No.  As you discovered, DNS just provides the name->address lookup
>facility.  If you want redirects, you have to do that on the web server
>itself, using the HTTP Redirect mechanism.

Could this be done with CNAME? I think so. It will not be just a
redirect, they would effectively be the same IP. Then the webserver must
use virtual hosts if you want a different answer from the two addresses.
I understand you want the two to be the same.

Two A RRs will also work.

This all assumes you have control over the DNS for xyz.com!

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

Let HIM who has an empty INBOX send the first mail.