Controlling DNS by Mail

chuck yerkes chuck at Aug2004.snew.com
Fri Aug 6 07:52:15 UTC 2004

Sebastian Ganschow wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm searching for a solution to control the DNS-Server by sending a Mail to it.
> I searched with google & Co but I can't find any information onit.
> It should work like the following example:
>
> 1. user is sending a mail to a mail-adress like dns at domain.com
> 2. robot ist checking if user is autorized to make changes in the dns
> 3. if yes, robot makes changes
> 4. robot reloads dns-server
>
> Do you know any software to implement such a service?

Sure.

Perl jumps to mind first.  Handling dynamic DNS (nsupdate).
Or ina  protocol you write.

I've done odd things like this (mail aliases, afair).

1) the data had to be in a pretty strict (parsable) format.
    best GENERATED from a program.
2) it had to be pgp/gpg signed.  I'd use S/MIME these days.

Script would get it, check the sig, perhaps decrypt it.
Run the body to the input of the program.

my program in this case would take
VERB param1 param2

like:
Addalias   test   "list of test recipients"
   - OR -
delalias   bill
addalias   bill    bill at NewAddress

This would suck the aliases into memory, handle it and, if it worked
out, write the alias file out and do an RCS ci(1) and send the output
back to the sender (encrypted with the sender's public key).

Haven't thought about it for 10 years.  httpd made it kinda moot.

You'd want to figure out the tasks you want to accomplish (the VERBs)
and then write something to catch the input and do what you want.