Changing $TTL for many zones

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Aug 2 23:25:08 UTC 2004

In article <celmca$1u4a$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Josh Harding <jharding at brave.cs.uml.edu> wrote:

> I was wondering if it's possible to use an include with bind9 to set the
> time to live. This would allow me to easily change the ttl when we make
> changes in the future. The syntax I was contemplating would look like this
> in db.somedomain:

It would make things easy when you make a change that impacts all your
zones.  But how often do you make those kinds of changes, compared with
single-zone changes?

>  $include db.ttl.inc
>
> and in db.ttl.inc:
> $TTL 86400      ;to be changed at my convenience
>
> Would this work?

One negative implication is that when you do "ndc reload", it always
rereads any zone files that contain $INCLUDE -- other zone files are
only reread if their modification time is newer than it was the last
time it was read.  This is because BIND doesn't record of all the
$INCLUDE files that were involved in loading a zone, so it can't check
whether any of them have updated; if any $INCLUDEs were used, it just
assumes the worst and reloads it.  If you're hosting lots of zones
(which I assume you are because you're looking for this type of
convenience), this could make reload times significantly longer.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA