how do I implement AXFR query type.

Swapna Prasad swapna56782004 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 12:54:22 UTC 2004

Hi All,
      I am new to this area. Any help in this regard is highly appreciated. I need to read the zone records from my DNS server. I am sending a query of type AXFR, the transport is tcp, port 53.  When I do that what I get is just the SOA record and one SRV record. Should I sent a query with SOA type first followed by AXFR?  Does the number of answer RR field reflect the number of zone records transmitted. If not which field reflects that. Do I need to send query(AXFR) multiple times to get all the zone records.
   Is there any open source code available for host -l command or axfr-get.

Thank you  in advance
Swapna