ISC Bind crashes dialy, should I upgrade?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 28 21:21:52 UTC 2004

Vince De Mello wrote:

> I then tried to do named -v and got:
>
> 'named' is not recognised as an internal or external command operable
> program or batch file.
It is probably "named.exe" rather than "named" - the use of extensions
to identify file type just suggests the OS lacks magic ;) You might also
have to hunt for where it lives.

If you have a dig tool around you can also "dig" for "dig @localhost
version.bind chaos txt", this has the advantage of using the protocol
and so is platform independent (assuming you know how to issue specific
DNS queries on your platform of choice).

> Does this mean I have a very old version of BIND?

This use to occur on versions of BIND 9 before 9.2.3rc1 on NT4 - so my
guess is a BIND upgrade may fix it. 9.2.2 isn't THAT old, but the
question was last asked here April 2003, so in Internet time I guess
that is medieval.

Like Peter I don't do DNS on Windows, at least not unless I'm
specifically asked, no point paying good money for something when the
free alternatives work better.

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature