nslookup: giving error when used with UDP

sekhar n sekhar_nv at yahoo.co.in
Wed Apr 28 07:31:51 UTC 2004

 Hi all,

i am facing the problem with DNS/BIND.

when I tried nslookup (from the machine with Tru64 Unix OS) without any option (meaning it uses UDP to send
the packets), the server is returning the error.
nslookup hostname
can't find hostname: Server failed

When I used nslookup -vc option(if you mention -vc option, then it uses
TCP to send packets), the server is responding properly.

nslookup -vc hostname
This time it is giving the IP address of the hostname by using the default server.

Any help is appreciated.