ISC Bind crashes dialy, should I upgrade?

Vince De Mello vince at microbotics.co.uk
Sat Apr 24 00:44:38 UTC 2004

Hello,

Please forgive my ignorance but I am new to ISC bind.

I have a Windows 2000 server running IIS5. Recently I noticed that our ISC
Bind service kept stopping on a daily basis and had to be restarted.
I noticed the following errors in my log file which occured at the moment of
the crash.

socket c:2230: fatal error:
select() failed: Socket operation on non-socket
exiting (due to fatal error in library)

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I am also trying to figure out what version of ISC Bind I am running. Can
somone please explain to me in simple terms how I can find this out?

I suspect I may have to upgrade the ISC Bind software to the latest version.
I have never done this before and would like to know what this involves and
what risks are involved. I would like to keep any downtime to a minimum.
Hopefully it is simply a case of running the self install application.

Thanks in advance.

Vince