BIND 9.2.3, large zone xfer and 100% CPU Utilization

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Fri Apr 23 04:41:25 UTC 2004

Since the zone transfer under named doesn't seem to work for you, maybe
it is time to consider a different solution.  This ***is*** a big zone.

You could periodically download this zone using dig.  Have this zone
configured on your server  as a master and simply reload it.  Named
would not have to perform the zone transfer itself so you shouldn't
have this same downtime problem.

 From a strong suggestion made about periodically downloading the root
cache file, I would strongly suggest that you download this zone file
to a separate file.  You need to insure that you don't clobber the file
for the running zone while you are downloading the newer zone file.

Bill Larson