I've got a mess

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Wed Apr 21 17:24:37 UTC 2004

On Apr 21, 2004, at 9:03 AM, Michael Barber wrote:

> Thanks Kevin...  Answers below.
>
>> Michael Barber wrote:
>>
>>> I changed my named.conf on the secondary from the commented lines to
>>> the
> new
>>> lines...
>>> It looks like it was slaving the local db.127.0.0.
>>>
>> I'm not sure what relevance that has. That's an entirely different
>> zone.
>
> No relevance....just trying everything I can think of.  I think its
> always
> been like that....I thought it was saying that it wasn't authoritative
> because the primary NS is up and that it refers to it.

If it is no relevance then don't try working with it.  Shotgun
approaches to troubleshooting problems are rarely effective.

>> What does the slave zone definition for comcity.com look like?
>
> //named.conf
>
> zone "comcity.com" {
>  type slave;
>  file "_db_COMCITY.zone";
>  masters {
>   207.168.174.130;
>  };
> };

Actually, what is the WHOLE configuration file on this server look
like.  Just send us the whole thing to review rather than making us
guess what you have.

> //comcity zone as slaved.
> (trimmed some superflous A records for clarity)
>
> ; BIND version named 8.4.4 Fri Jan 16 22:45:44 2004
> ; BIND version marka at drugs:src/port/winnt
> ; zone 'comcity.com'   first transfer
> ; from [209.66.93.2].53:53 (local [209.10.62.22].1045) using AXFR at
> Mon Mar
> ; NOT TSIG verified
> $ORIGIN com.
> comcity 1800 IN SOA ns.comcity.com. webmaster.comcity.com. (
>   2004033101 43200 7200 604800 1800 )

I strongly suspect that this is the zone file on the slave because it
doesn't match the zone file on the master.  On the master, your serial
number in the SOA record is "2004042001" rather than the "2004033101"
that you have identified.

(Even more lines deleted.)

>> Also, do
>> you see any error messages in the logs at the time named tries to
>> read/load the comcity.com zone file?
>
> No error messages at all.

What exactly are you logging and where are you looking for these logs?

On your slave system, ns2.comcity.com, can you successfully run "dig
@207.168.174.130 comcity.com axfr"?  This will perform a zone transfer
on your slave getting the zone information from your master.  If this
command returns a listing of the comcity.com zone, then your slave CAN
request a zone transfer from your master and the problem should lie
with the configuration of the slave.  If this command does NOT return a
listing of the comcity.com zone, then the problem lies with the
configuration of the master OR your network communication between the
master and slave.

Please note that the master DOES respond to the zone transfer to my
machine which is not on your network.  So, your master is allowing zone
transfers but maybe not to your slave or the network that your slave is
on.  (AFTER this problem is solved, you may want to reconfigure your
server to prevent this.  But until things are working, this is a useful
capability to allow us to try and help you out).

The two name servers that you have identified for your zone,
ns.comcity.com and ns2.comcity.com are on two different networks (IP
addresses show different networks and a traceroute shows completely
different paths to the two servers).  Could there be routing problems
between these two networks that is preventing communication?  Maybe one
or more firewalls between the two servers that are selectively blocking
communications?  The results of the "dig" command will indicate if the
necessary communication is possible, tell us the results to allow us to
help.

Remember that TCP communication on port 53 is necessary for a zone
transfer.  Many people block TCP communication on port 53 under the
belief that this improves security.