Strange DNS resolving behavior

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Apr 21 16:30:31 UTC 2004

John Manly <jwmanly at amherst.edu> wrote:
> Greetings, all.  I'm experiencing a strange problem with DNS resolving
> that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on.  A vendor that we work
> with has set up a DNS name in their domain,
> "amherst.publishingconcepts.com" as an A record with an IP address of
> 12.156.3.83.  However, my site's DNS servers (and one other ISP's DNS
> servers that I can find) for some reason cannot resolve this address.
> But every other DNS server that I've tried querying can resolve the
> address.  Further, the problem appears to be specific to this particular
> name -- other A records in the same domain (such as
> www.publishingconcepts.com or tigernet.publishingconcepts.com) resolve
> properly.  I have no idea where to start looking for a solution (or even
> an explanation of this.)

> Below are the results of some of my NSLOOKUP attempts to my own
> nameserver, as well as those of Genuity/Level3 (the other set of DNS
> servers that appear to be unable to resolve the name), and then a bunch
> from DNS servers that appear to work properly.

> First, here are three tests against my own name server.  The problematic
> name produces a timeout, but another name within the same domain that I
> know is valid works properly, and an attempt to translate a name that I
> know doesn't exist gives the expected error result (but not a timeout).

( rest removed )
> Any light that anyone can shed, or directions that anyone can sugggest
> for further debugging/troubleshooting/investigation on this issue would
> be most helpful.

> -- John W. Manly  <jwmanly at amherst.edu>
>    Systems and Networking, Amherst College

One BIG problem is in the domain publishingconcepts.com, lets
look at the nameservers :
;; ANSWER SECTION:
publishingconcepts.com.  1H IN NS  ns2.publishingconcepts.com.
publishingconcepts.com.  1H IN NS  ns1.publishingconcepts.com.
publishingconcepts.com.  1H IN NS  dc01.publishingconcepts.com.
publishingconcepts.com.  1H IN NS  dc02.publishingconcepts.com.

And the corresponding IP's :
;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns2.publishingconcepts.com.  1H IN A  12.156.3.11
ns1.publishingconcepts.com.  1H IN A  12.156.3.10
dc01.publishingconcepts.com.  1H IN A  10.10.0.11
dc02.publishingconcepts.com.  1H IN A  10.10.0.12

Well , there is a big problem. Private addresses are undefined,
if you happen to use these nets some queries will go there.

Tell your partner to correct their dns, it's not allowed to
announce rfc1918-addresses, they give among other problems
these kind of troubles.

--
Peter Håkanson