Dropping request packets

Weldon Goree weldon at weldongoree.com
Mon Apr 19 22:18:24 UTC 2004

Soraia Zlatkovic (sopaz) wrote:

>Is there a way to configure BIND (doesn't matter which version) to drop
>packets or refuse requests
>coming from a particular client?
>
>Thanks

That's not really BIND's "job"; for that matter BIND doesn't even know
what a packet is (think OSI levels). Refusing or allowing packets for
certain applications (eg, BIND) from certain hosts, however, is exactly
what a firewall does. The only real network-specific filter I know of
for BIND is the ability to throttle TCP connections (somebody please
correct me if you can do more); as far as specifically preventing a
certain client from accessing your server, you'll need to configure
ipchains (or its equivalent on your platform) for that.