Help: MS DNS slave to Bind Master configuration

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Apr 16 14:58:00 UTC 2004

"news.verizon.net" <david.dot at verizon.net> wrote:

>I am running Windows 2000 Server MS DNS with Active Directory.
>I installed  bind 9.2.3 on Solaris 8.
>
>Unfortunately  I am not permissioned to install  bind 9.2.3 on Windows 2000.
>I want the Windows 2000 MS DNS to use the Bind 9.2.3 on a Solaris 8 system
>as it's primary DNS.
>
>I can only find information on using MS DNS as the primary and Bind 9 as the
>slave.
>
>since _tcp.company.com  _msdcs.company.com  _sites.company.com
>_udp.company.com
>have no zone files of their own
>How do I create the bind zone files for these subdomains of company.com?
>
>I assume that _tcp.company.com  _msdcs.company.com  _sites.company.com
>_udp.company.com  subdomains
>use SOA and NS records like any othe zone file.

First, I suggest checking the list archives of this list and its
sister list

     bind9-users at isc.org

There have been many W2k/BIND-related postings in the past years.
You will find details in the archives.  If you do not find exactly
the information you need, then send another post to this newsgroup.

To answer the specific question you asked - the "_" zones are DNS zones
just like any other zone.  They must contain an SOA record and NS
record(s).
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov