Domains not resolving in Bind9, flush cache, clears issue.

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Apr 14 19:02:46 UTC 2004

    Brook> I think you missed my post, they are not my domains, they
    Brook> are external domains internal customers are looking up.

OK.

    Brook> What I'm wondering is how you bypass the problem on these
    Brook> external domains, that are setup incorrectly. I use Bind8
    Brook> my customers can resolve these incorrectly setup domains,
    Brook> if I use Bind9 they will time out when the glue expires.
    Brook> Did I step my foot into a common issue?

You found a problem caused by someone else's mistake. This is not
exactly a rare event when it comes to DNS. For this particular
misconfiguration, the issue isn't about choosing between BIND8 over
BIND9. The DNS setup is so broken nothing should ever work for those
zones. And that's what happens with BIND9, as you'd expect. BIND8 is
also broken if, as you claim, it's tolerating this misconfiguration.
Two wrongs don't make a right: it's a bit like two drunks leaning
against each other to prop themselves up.

If you really care about these broken domains, you could try to
contact their DNS administrator and get them to add the missing
A records that should have been there from the outset. Any other
"solution" like kludging your DNS configuration or installing broken
DNS software is not the answer. All that does is create a maintenance
nightmare for you and means the DNS admin for pretzelgourmet.com and
gourmettwists.net has even less incentive to fix their broken setup.