Setting up a Win 2003 as a secondary DNS server

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Apr 14 17:41:59 UTC 2004

"Andrew" <fakeaddress at lan.com.nl> wrote:

>I am running primary DNS on a RH 7.2 system. I have now setup Win 2003
>server on another machine & am wanting to have this running as a secondary
>DNS server. Trouble is when DNS (zone file) i have created on the win2003
>machine goes to load data off the linux box nothing happens. My linux
>machine gives me no indication that a connection from the win2003 was
>attempted.
>
>How does the secondary server grap this zone file?? . How does it know where
>this zone file is ??
>
>If there are articles on this type of setup which i am sure there is many
>can anyone point me in the right direction
>
>Thanks for any help provided

What do you see in the dns.log file on the w2003 box, assuming that you
have enabled all logging?  What do you see when you run a sniffer on
your BIND box?

Also, there was a posting on Mar 24 (check the archives of this list)
entitled "BIND master/MSDNS slave incompatability" where the poster
entitled "BIND master/MSDNS slave incompatability" where the poster
talks about a registry setting that needs to be set in order to
circumvent a stupid (in my opinion) incompatibility with the DNS
standards.

I do not run my W2003 box as a slave, so I have not encounted it.
And I have not had time to review my newly procured copy of
"DNS on Windows Server 2003" by Cricket Liu et alia.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov