How F-Root Server works?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Apr 12 12:19:48 UTC 2004

    Barry> We used anycasting for both our authoritative and caching
    Barry> DNS servers when I was at Genuity (now Level(3)).

Hmm. It's the same principle, but the details are different. At
Genuity, this would presumably be realised using OSPF or IFRP. For
the root and TLD name servers, anycasting is based on BGP.

    Barry> It's a really great feature for caching servers.

Oh, yeah. Especially when the IP address of those servers have to be
embedded into zillions of desktops that are unlikely to ever get
reconfigured.