Automate secondary DNS with MSDNS as primary

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Apr 10 04:20:05 UTC 2004

In article <c579qj$1590$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Shannon Hicks" <shan at criticaldigital.com> wrote:

> We are setting up a small hosting environment for our clients, but have
> run into a problem with DNS. Our primary server is a Win 2k3 box running
> Microsoft DNS (yeah, I know... "boo and hiss" to you too). I'm setting
> up a box to be the secondary DNS server, and can make that either Linux
> or another Win2k3 install.
>
> Now, to my question... I want the process of adding a new client as
> automated as possible, and would rather not have to add a new zone to
> the config every time we add a new domain.
>
> I've seen the scripts in Linux that do it, but would rather stay away
> from a method that I can't support because of my lack of experience with
> CRON and scripting in linux.
>
> The only reason I'm asking this question again (yes, I see it's one of
> the more popular ones) is because I couldn't find any that specifically
> talked about MSDNS being the primary.
>
> Any experts out there feel like helping another newbie?

As has been explained in all the other threads about this, there's
nothing in the DNS protocol that provides a way to find out all the
zones hosted by a server.  So whatever you do will have to involve
non-DNS mechanisms.  If you're using MS as the master server, my guess
is that the data you need to get at will be in the registry somewhere.
You should be able to write an application that extracts it and
generates a named.conf file for the BIND slave, and then sends this to
the Linux box.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA