Domains not resolving in Bind9, flush cache, clears issue.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Apr 9 21:22:13 UTC 2004

In article <c571uf$1035$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 harty at ironwolve.com (Brook Harty) wrote:

> Not sure if this is a bug, but I'm having wierd cache type issues on
> Bind9.
>
> I upgraded all our bind solaris8 servers from bind 8.2.3 to Bind9.2.2
> (then 9.2.3). My 2 DNS servers that sit on the Internet after some
> time (18+ hours) starts having issues resolving a couple extrenal
> domains. Flush cache, and they would work again.  I only have 2 that I
> know of, it could be more.
>
> When I would try to resolve these external domains having issues, it
> just reports
> domainname IN A
>
> Thats it, no IP.

Are you sure there wasn't an ";" at the beginning of the line?  That's
how "dig" displays the Question Section.

> I did a trace before and after flushing the cache, also a db dump
> before and after flushing cache. Theres nothing that looks out of
> place in the dump, the trace shows it not resolving.
>
> I reverted to bind8, and its resolving these domains again. Can't find
> a common problem with the remote domains, and why Bind9 would just
> fail after some hours.
>
> Where should I go from here? I never submitted a bug for bind. Really
> would like to use Bind9 for my Internet facing DNS servers.

What domains are having the problem?  What does it display in the
Authority and Additional sections when the failure occurs?  A common
cause of this type of behavior is problems with the glue records.

Did you try checking the domains at dnsreport.com?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA