DNS failure returns register.com page

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Apr 8 19:18:56 UTC 2004

In article <c540fa$25fg$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Joe <joe at blow.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I hope someone here can help me figure out a way to disable
> register.com's "Coming Soon" page whenever the DNS for some site is
> looked up. Whenever I try to browse some site with my web browser, for
> e.g. irs.gov or google.com, the damn register.com's page pops up. I had
> enough of this crap. I tried to change the DNS forwarders in my
> named.conf (I am running a caching nameserver on my lunix desktop) to no
> avail. This problem occurs only on my home machine, but not at work,
> even though I use my company's DNS servers. My ISP is comcast (damn them
> too).

Why are you using forwarders in your named.conf?  Go to the root servers
and you should get correct answers.

Dump your server's cache to see where these bogus answers are coming
from.

Are you sure the bogosity is coming from DNS in the first place?  What
does "dig" show when you look up a site's IP address?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA