resolving domain basis1.de and basis1.com - DNS newbie

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 6 22:27:16 UTC 2004

Uwe Disch wrote:

>Hello,
>
>recently I discovered that I have problems in resolving basis1.de and
>basis1.com (It's a domain of a local company). I'm running bind 8.2.2
>as DNS for intranet and as cache for internet.
>
>If I do a "nslookup basis1.com" on the dns then bind is telling me:
>

>Server:  someserver.somecompany.com
>Address:  192.168.10.10
>
>*** someserver.somecompany.com can't find basis1.com: Non-existent
>host/domain
>

>If I do a "nslookup basis1.com dummy-dns.dummy-domain.com" afterwards,
>bind returns:
>

>*** Can't find server address for 'dummy-dns.dummy-domain.com': Unknown
>host
>
>Server:  someserver.somecompany.com
>Address:  192.168.10.10
>
>Non-authoritative answer:
>Name:    basis1.com
>Address:  62.146.78.226
>

>Whow!

I think you would have had the same results if you just ran the same
nslookup command twice. What's happening on the second nslookup command
is that it's giving up on the dummy name and going back to your default
nameserver. So it's effectively no different than if you had just
repeated the first command.

Ultimately, the root cause of your problem is most likely the lack of
"query restart" in BIND 8. Under some conditions, BIND 8 loses track of
certain information it needs to resolve a query, and when this happens,
it just gives up on the query, hoping that the client will retry the
query again and that the partial information it already obtained in
connection with the first resolution attempt, plus information obtained
by some number of queries on the second resolution attempt, will allow
it to complete the whole resolution process and get an answer back to
the client. BIND 9 has "query restart" so the fact that you're having
problems with BIND 8 in this regard constitutes a good reason to
consider an upgrade.

>From now on it's working fine for some hours.

It works until the the relevant information times out of the
nameserver's cache. Then the whole sequence starts over again.

                                       - Kevin