DDNS setup

Kelly D. Grills kdgrills at the-grills.com
Thu Sep 25 23:55:27 UTC 2003

* Dan Egli <dan at shortcircuit.dyndns.org>:

>  I'm trying to setup DDNS updates. However, despite following some
>  exapmples I've seen on the net, machines that get an address from the
>  DHCP server don't get added to the DNS. What am I doing wrong?
>
>  Here's the files in question:
>
>  /etc/dhclient.conf (from machine getting the IP)
>  send host-name "breakme.shortcircuit.dyndns.org";
>  send dhcp-client-identifier 44:a2:a0:24:21:87:9c;
>  send dhcp-lease-time 3600;
>  supersede domain-name "shortcircuit.dyndns.org";
>  supersede host-name "breakme"
>  request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
>  	domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name;
>  require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
>  timeout 60;
>  retry 60;
>  reboot 10;
>  select-timeout 5;
>  initial-interval 2;
>  script "/sbin/dhclient-script";
>  media "-link0 -link1 -link2", "link0 link1";
>  key shortcircuit {
>  ~  algorithm HMAC-MD5;
>  ~   secret "BlaBlaBlaBlaBlaBlaBlaBlaBla=";
>  };

Well, I'm not an expert, but it looks like you're missing the following
statements in your dhclient.conf...

send fqdn.fqdn "your.fully.qualified.domain.name.";
send fqdn.encoded on;
send fqdn.server-update on;

See dhclient.conf(5) for all the details (note the Dynamic DNS section).

--
Kelly D. Grills
kdgrills at the-grills.com