Correctness of DNSStuff.com for .ca lookups?

Cris Fuhrman filmore at bigfoot.com
Mon Sep 29 16:37:49 UTC 2003

Hi there,

I'm trying to help my IT folks diagnose some messes in the DNS at
work. It seems to go way up the line to our ISP(s). I realize the
problem could be misconfigurations here as well. Garbage up, garbage
down...

I'm using DNSStuff.com, namely

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=ens.etsmtl.ca&type=MX&server=&detail=2

(sorry if this wraps) to do MX lookups.

Once the [a-?].root-servers.net pass on the lookups, it goes anywhere
and everywhere. The mess appears to begin in Canada :-) I'm not a DNS
professional, but when I see how stanford.edu's MX resolves, it's
seems to be a lot cleaner!

Without asking people to diagnose my own school's (our perhaps its
country's) DNS problems, I wanted to only ask if DNSStuff.com's
diagnostics are generally reliable for domains outside the US?

Thanks,

Cris Fuhrman