allow-query question

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Wed Sep 24 17:54:36 UTC 2003

In article <bkanqd$1t8h$1 at sf1.isc.org>,  <johnny at n0sq.net> wrote:
>Is it safe (and appropriate) to allow queries from everyone? Or should I
>restrict the queries to my LAN and secondary DNS servers?

If you're operating the authoritative server for a registered domain or
delegated subdomain of a registered domain, you need to allow queries from
everyone.

If not, it depends on whether you want your server to be a free, public
resource for the entire Internet.  Most organizations operate caching
servers just for their users/customers, because opening it up can result in
overload and poor performance for the paying users.

What you probably want to use is "allow-recursion" rather than
"allow-query".

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA